Saturday, November 1, 2008

Ko Samet -1

Thailand has many beautiful islands and some has become well known internationally.. Phuket, Samui, Phi Phi etc.

Flying over Ko Samet the other day prompted me to start a blog to feature the islands I've visited. Couldn't locate that photo folder as it was some years back, so I borrowed some lovely shots from Google Images.





















Map of the eastern seaboard showing its location. Ferry service is from the fishing port of Ban Phe, about 20km east of Rayong.





















Ko Samet also has a National Marine Park.





















I thought it was more convenient to book a package in Bangkok that includes all transport & accommodation. It turned out the trip was not entirely pleasant. It was not the island that disappoint but a tourist trap I hated to encounter.

Well.. here's the story.
I arrived at the pick up point in good time before scheduled time of 2pm. The minibus was more than 1/2 hour late. I can understand this knowing Bangkok's traffic jams. But it went on to pick up others from different locations! So you imagine hopping from place to another in an aged van with air con half working (+ waiting for some inconsiderate travelers being late) - wasn't a good start.

We finally reach the town of Ban Phe around 8pm! A supposedly 3 hr trip became 6hr!

The next episode was even more unpleasant..
The local tour operator gathered all of us and said it was getting late and we should get there by speed boat costing Bth200 each. We can land directly at our designated resort bypassing the National Park entrance fees of Bth400. "So you save Bth200." she said. For first time visitors, sounds like a good deal, isn't? Nobody objected.

Then she followed on to collect back our pre-issued ferry tickets. What, are we paying the boat trip twice? I protested. I simple refused to return the ticket unless there is a refund or offset against the Bth200 speed boat charge. "You already save Bth200!" sounded as if she did us a favor.

That moment I refused to budge.. guess it was stubbornness took over me. So I insisted to go by normal ferry service, never mind about entrance fee. I just insist on the arrangement as booked. She then asked others to pay higher fare after I opted out. It back fired on her.. everybody turn her down. So you can imagined how upset she was with me!

Some more waiting at the pier before we finally caught a boat for the island.















Glad my unpleasant experience ended as the boat finally depart; it was a bit crowded but I enjoyed the night breeze beating on my face.

Upon arrival there are ample transport waiting at the pier and arrived the resort close to 10 pm; tired and still a bit hungry. The resort manager was kind enough to keep the kitchen open to serve meals as it was near their closing time.

Next morning, I hired a motor-bike and explore the island. Only then I knew the NP entrance is charged at the main road, gateway to the eastern part of the island. I didn't have to pay, just ride through like any locals. I stayed on the western side, so what entrance fees saving? Only then I realized she knew it and tried to hook wink the whole group into taking the speed boat and pocket/resell our ferry tickets?

Other than this ugly incident, I was happy to make a trip there!
Some scenic spots.



























Some part coast are rocky.



































Some other contrasting scenes.





























Sunrise & sunset.












































Fire dance performance at beach resorts/restaurant/bar are common.
















The last few km to the southern tip was hilly and unsealed road badly eroded. But when I got there, no other tourist except for the guards at a Govt. outpost. I have a couple hours of solitude walking down the cliff by the shore. That was the best moments in my memory. Will update with my pictures when I located my folder.

No comments: